The club was originally founded in June 2002 by Mr. Leonard Coe, a life-long keeper of tortoises.
Len had a particular interest in Mediterranean tortoises, especially Testudo ibera, the Turkish spur thighed tortoise, and Testudo hermanni boettgeri, the eastern hermanns tortoise. Both species he maintained well, and bred from for many years until he passed away.
During his years keeping tortoises Len met and helped many people provide the best possible care for their charges. He was very concerned at the poor information regularly encountered by tortoise pet owners, and came to the conclusion that a club which regularly met and shared information would be an ideal way to standardise information and promoting pet tortoise welfare to its members.
After months of planning the first meeting was arranged. Initially the first meeting had only five members all of whom kept quite large collections of animals.
Today Norfolk Tortoise Club has grown into a large regional club with many active members and over 3000 Facebook followers from across East Anglia - and beyond! The club has a friendly and open atmosphere with an ever expanding following. Our events and volunteering opportunities are enjoyed by tortoise enthusiasts of all experience levels and they are a great way to share tortoise knowledge.
Current members keep amongst them many species of tortoises including mediterraneans, giant sulcatas, red footed, leopards, hingebacks, burmese browns and more besides.
Norfolk Tortoise Club is entirely funded by donations and is run by a committee of elected volunteer members. Each year we hold a number of events to help us raise essential funds to continue our tortoise welfare work. We are extremely grateful for any donations - it all makes a difference. Please note that if you are a UK taxpayer we can also claim Gift Aid on your donation. Please visit our donate page below if you would like to make a financial donation:
How you can help the club
Financial donations aren’t the only way you can help support Norfolk Tortoise Club, there are a number of other ways you could help us out:
- Donations of clean newspapers, towels and garden tools are useful for looking after the tortoises temporarily in our care
- You can donate your Cashback to us through: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/norfolktc/ simply shop online as you would usually, and the club receives a small proportion of your sale money from the retailer whilst adding no extra cost to yourself
- Volunteering – we need committed volunteers to help look after our rehomer tortoises on Tuesdays and Saturdays at club HQ in South Norfolk. Volunteers with strong IT, Marketing, and Design skills are particularly needed for helping us with the website and promotion.
- Please get in touch if you want to purchase a much needed item on our behalf - there are small items online at around £30 we would be grateful for
- Spread the word about the club! It costs a lot of money for us to keep tortoises in our care, we want them to find new good homes as soon as possible… Please tell all your friends and family about the joys of responsible tortoise keeping!
****** Updated GDPR information below ******
Privacy & Cookies Policy Notice
Tortoise Club is committed to complying with the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act 2018, once enacted. Looking after the personal information you share with us is very important, and we want you to be confident that your personal data is kept safely and securely and to understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised shopping experience.
We have published this notice to help you understand:
- how and why Tortoise Club collect information from you
- who we share your information with, why and on what basis; and
- what your rights are
If we make changes to this notice we will notify you by updating it on our website. We will be what is known as the ‘Data Controller’ of the personal data you provide to us, and we will sometimes refer to ourselves in this notice as “we” or “us”. By Data Controller, this means Tortoise Club determines the purposes and way in which any personal data are, or will be, processed.
Should you need to contact us please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This privacy notice was last updated on 25th May 2018.
Your Information – what we collect and how we use it
Tortoise Club collects information from the public in a number of different ways. For example, we ask for contact and other information when members of the public rehome a tortoise, sign up to our shared membership scheme or attend and show interest at one of our events, This may include information such as your name, date of birth and contact information. We use this information to help us provide and improve our services as a charity and to keep a record of our communications with you.
If you are a financial supporter of Tortoise Club, by becoming a member or donating to us we will ask for information that enables us to administer your donation. This will normally include information such as your name, contact details such as address, email or telephone number and your payment details and Gift Aid status.
If you have given us your consent, we will contact you with information and updates on our work and events or information and how you can support us, (such as fundraising). This may be by post, email, telephone or text message, depending on your preferences. We will also continue to ask about your marketing preferences, to ensure that you are still happy to be contacted by us and by which mean.
How the law applies to Tortoise Club use of personal information
Tortoise Club will only process (use) your personal information if we have:
- asked you and have a record of your express and recent consent for us to do so;
- a ‘Legitimate Interest’ to do so in order to support our charitable purposes. Our use will be fair and balanced and never unduly have an impact on your rights.;
- a contract with you that we can only fulfil by using your personal information, e.g. to send you an item that you have requested;
- a legal obligation to use or disclose information about you, e.g. we are required by law to keep records of gifts that are given to us with Gift Aid for 4 years
Tortoise Club will always ask for your consent before we communicate with you for certain purposes. For example, we will only email or phone you about our fundraising activities if we have an accurate record of your recent and freely given consent to do so.
You can withdraw your consent at any time emailing email@example.com
There are times when it is not practical to obtain and record consent. At those times, we will only process personal information if that processing would meet another legal ground e.g. Legitimate Interests, in which case we would only process in accordance with the law’s strict rules on legitimate interest processing.
You can disable cookies on any browser but if you chose to do so some of our website functions and features may not work.
How to contact us